After the Washington Post’s Thomas Boswell wrote a column with 10 improvements baseball could make, I went through each one and gave my thoughts. In its latest issue, ESPN the Magazine looks at 31 new rules for sports in 2010, so I’ll give it the same treatment.
1. Add one more wild-card team in each league.
2. The two playoff teams in each league with the worst record (wild-card or not) meet in a best-of-three play-in series.
3. The day after the conclusion of the play-in series, the play-in winner meets the No. 1 seed. (This forces the play-in winner to start, at best, its No. 3 starter.)
4. All rounds after play-in series are best-of-sevens.
5. To further test teams’ pitching depth, nontravel off-days during the postseason are eliminated.